BELLO (after-effect of Minions movie) to you guys readers, followers, friends, random strangers! Foodandholiday is back again to spam you with pictures about our getaway in Batam Island over the last weekend :) This was the 2nd time foodandholiday flew to Batam this year and we had a very good time. During those days, we even hardly forget what hunger feels like. Lol. Our first day started with waking up at 4am as we were going to board the earliest flight to Batam that morning. Kuala Namo airport is no longer a stone's throw away, so we were required to head to the airport at 5am morning and the flight was at 7am. What an early bird deal!
Touched down at 8.10am, the flight was not as smooth as we hoped for. Intense turbulence occurred for a good 10 seconds before the wheels hit the ground very hard and shook the whole plane. We feel like we were riding on a public transport omg! Even so, we finally made it up in Batam safely, soundly and hungry! Hahaha. As mentioned above, foodandholiday came back here again after 2.5 months. Actually, taking early morning flight was like going office on Monday, it need DETERMINATION. LOL! It was frustrating but it gave us the whole day in destination, from breakfast to lunch to dinner and to supper. =)
Right from the airport, we then proceed to the hotel and check-in. For the lodge, foodandholiday stayed in Biz Hotel during the previous visit and we enjoyed it quite much. Hence, we 'embarked' on the very same hotel again this time.
We were 8 persons in total and we need 3 rooms with 2 extra beds. Photo below is our home for 2 nights, the superior room at rate Idr. 430K per night, additional Idr. 250K for the extra bed. As per our request, we were given the high-floor and no-smoking rooms. Rooms were clean, quite and comfortable. 2 rooms were connected to each other by a door which was very convinient for us to be able to hang out and go from room to room, meanwhile the other one was just on the opposite.
Check-in was done and off we went to have our breakfast. The clock was showing 10 am and our stomachs were growling even harder than before. We need FOOD, FOOD and FOOD! From the first time we were introduced to this FISH SOUP WITH TARO last few months, we can't wait to go back again. So the breakfast was settled at there yet again at Eatern Food Court, a crowded, bustling, no air-cond hawker center. As shown in the pics below, fresh whole/fillet fish were displayed on trays, with no ice under it. We picked 3 kinds of different fish and ordered the kitchen to prepare them in 3 different dishes : fried, soup and spicy-sour.
- Fish Soup with Taro - Idr. 140,000 (feed 4-6 people) Plunging taro in the soup is one unique way to create rich flavor in this thick fish soup. The semi-mashed taro cubes and the fish blend so well together. Best eaten when still hot (with or without rice). I'm drooling by only looking at this photo, omg!
- The deep-fried fish - Idr. 30,000/pc. Cannot think of any words how to describe about this very simple deep-fried fish. The fish itself was already very tasteful and of very good quality. Paired them with chopped green chili, tasted damn good!
- Fish soup bee hoon - Idr. 30,000/bowl. There's not much I can write about this. I personally didn't have any special impression to this, but the friends claimed that this was pretty decent. Clear broth, big chunks of fish flesh, well-cooked bee hoon and the flavors were powerful as well.
- Spicy and Sour Fish - Idr. 50,000 (personal serving size) Personal serving size, but everybody managed to pinch at least a bite to taste. Fish was unquestionably fresh, but the sauce wasn't the type of spicy-sour sauce I expected for. For foodandholiday who is Medan-based, this spicy and sour sauce couldn't make it to our expectation. Nevertheless, it worth our tummy space.
- Dry wonton noodle (Idr. 18,000), prawn noodle and curry noodle (cannot remember the price) These are actually the food we had during our previous visit, but since the photos have not been posted on this page before, so I might as well give them a brief shout out here (pardon the pictures quality). Prawn noodle (bottom left) was almost tasteless whereas the wonton noodle (top left) was way too sweet. The curry noodle (right) was unexpectedly the best dish we had that morning.
Acccording to a local friend we get to know through IG, he mentioned that this hawker center has garnered quite a lot of regulars as well as the tourists. Overall, we came out from this place feeling all satisfied. Location : Eatern Food Court Komplek Penuin Center Blok X No. 1-4, opposite of BCS Mall. Actually this post covers only half of our day 1, but we promise will come back and share the rest of our food pictures and travelogues with everyone soon. Yes, soon! Bye for now and hope you enjoy the pictures :)